Traveling Procedure For Sick Passengers
- Sick Passenger or Passenger with Illness are passenger when their physical condition or medical disorder (including mental illness) requires airlines to give them individual attention on (enplaning/deplaning, during flight, in an emergency evacuation, during handling at airports) which is not normally extended to other passengers.
- The need for individual help will become apparent when the passenger, family, or doctor makes a request or when abnormal physical or mental conditions are observed and reported by airline staff.
- Prior to air travel, medical approval is required for the passenger. Medical approval will be granted in form of Medical Information (MEDIF) and Statement Letter of Release.
MEDIF is a Garuda Indonesia’s property intended to provide confidential information to enable the airlines medical department to assess the fitness of the passenger for travel.
- MEDIF could be downloaded on this link or by contacting Garuda Sentra Medika (GSM) – official Garuda Indonesia medical clinic
The form consists of:
- Part 1: for basic information and requirements to be completed by Sales Office/Agent
- Part 2 and Medical Certificate: for confidential medical information to be completed by attending physician
- All passengers’ medical information mentioned in MEDIF should be fulfilled by the doctor in charge of the patient (could be personal doctor or doctor in the hometown)
- Send MEDIF form to GSM for final flight allowance and approval
MEDIF is required for passenger with conditions as follows:
- Suffers from any disease which is believed to be actively contagious and communicable;
- Likely to be a hazard or cause discomfort to other passengers because of the physical or behavioral condition;
- Considered to be a potential risk to the safety or punctuality of the flight including the possibility of diversion of the flight or an unscheduled landing;
- Incapable of caring for himself and requires special assistance;
- Has a medical condition which may be adversely affected by the flight environment.
MEDIF is not required for:
- Disability passengers/ person with disability.
- Elderly passengers who may request the use of a wheelchair because of their age or because they are unable to walk.
- Passengers who recover at least 3 months after suffer a stroke.
- Pregnant mothers under 32 weeks of pregnancy (Ref. Travelling Procedures for Pregnant Mothers)
- Persons with minor fractures or Injury
|Domestic Flight||International Flight*|
*Prices in USD are subject to change according to the prevailing exchange rate.
If the passenger does not include any of the above categories, but a doubt exist, MEDIF should be obtained and approved by Garuda Indonesia physician at Garuda Sentra Medika (GSM) at least 48 hours prior to flight date, by contacting below:
GARUDA SENTRA MEDIKA (GSM)
Ph. Number: +62 21 - 424 1000 ext. 6136 (Working hours)
Fax Number: +62 21 - 424 5809 (Working hours)
Ph. Number: +62 21 - 2560 1565 (Outside working hours, holidays & weekends)
For safety reasons, you may need to obtain our approval if you need to use electrical/electronic medical equipment on board our flights by informing us prior to your travel. Sometimes you will also need Medical Clearance issued by Garuda Sentra Medika containing health statement from their appointed doctor or flight doctor. This is all required to ensure that the equipment does not interfere with the aircraft navigation and communication systems. Our cabin crew may require you to turn the medical equipment off if it is suspected to cause interference to the aircraft systems.
You should be familiar with your own medical equipment and are required to know how to operate them as our cabin crew is not trained to operate them. Please inform us at the time of booking if you are traveling with such medical equipment.